Postdoctoral Researcher in Theoretical Particle Physics job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- 2-year term full-time job, located on the Camperdown campus of the School of Physics
- Opportunity to contribute to research focused on theoretical particle physics
- Base salary Level A $95,000 – $98,000 pa + 17% superannuation
About the Opportunity
The University of Sydney Particle Physics Group invites qualified applicants to apply for a Postdoctoral researcher in theoretical particle physics. The position is supported by the Australian Research Council to work with Associate Professor Archil Kobakhidze (Chief Investigator) and Professor Mikhail Shaposhnikov (EPFL, Researcher Partner) on the discovery project “Scale invariance: A new paradigm for corpus physics and cosmology”. The main objective of this project is to elucidate the role of scale/conformal invariance in particle physics and gravity and to elaborate phenomenological and cosmological implications.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- conduct research within the project “Scale Invariance: A New Paradigm for Particle Physics and Cosmology” independently and in collaboration with project participants
- publish original work in high-impact journals
- request additional research funds, if applicable
- co-supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research students
- participate and give talks at national and international conferences and workshops
- participate in group research activities (e.g. journal clubs, seminars, organization of conferences, etc.)
The School of Physics at the University of Sydney is the nation’s leading physics department, with exceptional staff and students undertaking world-class teaching and research. Our 114 academic staff and 157 postgraduate students conduct research in a wide range of disciplines: astronomy and space science, particle and astroparticle physics, quantum physics, optics and photonics, complex systems physics, and applied physics and science. materials. The particle physics group is composed of three senior academics (2 experimentalist and 1 theorist), 2 senior postdoctoral researchers (1 experimentalist and 1 theorist) and several PhD students and honors students. The group maintains close collaboration with the Astroparticle Physics Group and colleagues at the University of New South Wales within the Sydney Consortium for Particle Physics and Cosmology (Sydney CPPC).
The School of Physics is committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity. We want to create an environment where individuality is welcomed and celebrated. We continuously strive to identify and remove biases and barriers to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
To learn more about the School of PhysicsClick here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned with these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral research associate in theoretical particle physics who has:
- a PhD (or nearly completed) in theoretical particle physics
- a strong background in one (or more) of the following research areas: quantum field theory and phenomenology, model building and particle cosmology
- proven track record of delivering high-quality search results
- the ability to work independently as well as collaborate with project participants
- the ability to supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- experience in delivering research seminars and presentations at conferences
- good written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact with a variety of scholars and audiences.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of any required pre-employment or background checks on terms satisfactory to the University. Likewise, your continued employment is conditional on your satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary action, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a university community that reflects the larger community we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase the participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people with disabilities, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all walks of life.
How to register
Applications (including cover letter, CV, list of publications and declaration of research interests) can be submitted through the To apply button at the top of the page.
Please also arrange at least 2 reference letters to send to Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant at within the same period until February 27, 2022.
For University employees or casual workers, please log in to your Working day account and navigate to the Career icon on your dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply. If you are a current University employee or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please log in to your Working day account and navigate to the Career icon on your dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable accommodation or support in completing this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or email [email protected]
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to make any appointments.
Click to view the job description for this role.